Sunday 10 November 2013

North of Nowhere - Liz Kessler

North of Nowhere by Liz Kessler
Review by Chutney* (12)
North of Nowhere has been nominated for the Carnegie Medal 2014.

 
North of Nowhere by Liz Kessler, nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Medal 2014
Publisher’s summary:

The sleepy seaside village of Porthaven hides a mystery....

Mia’s grandad has vanished and nobody knows why. When Mia and her mum go to support her grandma, Mia makes friends with local girl, Dee. But why does Dee seem to go out of reach? Why does she claim to be facing violent storms when Mia sees only sunny skies? And can Mia solve the mystery and find her grandad before time and tide wash away his future?

North of Nowhere was inspired by the real village of Hallsands, South Devon, that collapsed into the sea one stormy night in January 2017.
 
 
 
********
 
Our reviewer, Chutney (age 12), used North of Nowhere to complete a school reading report. Here are her responses:

Genre: mystery, adventure

I chose to read this book because I found the cover interesting and attractive. The storyline caught my attention and it is the most recent book I have received. The story was situated in Porthaven, a fishing village where Mia tried to find the grandad.

I would give Mia an award for her determination to solve the mystery of her grandad’s disappearance. I learnt from the story that with bravery and hope you can conquer anything. I would like to invite Peter over to my house. I would invite him because there are many questions I would like to know the answers to.

There is nothing that I would change about the book because the storyline was interesting, the pace was perfect for me, I enjoy the idea of time travelling and the story captured my mind throughout.

 
Publication details: Orion Children’s Books, 2013, London, hardback
This copy: review copy from the publishers

 
*Chutney is a nickname!

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! We'd love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment. You need to fill out the word captcha too because of spam. Your comment will be visible after approval.