Friday 15 March 2013

Darcy Burdock - Little M's review


Darcy Burdock by Laura Dockrill

Darcy Burdock is a story about Darcy Burdock's life when she is 10 and 11.
Darcy Burdock by Laura Dockrill
My first impression of the main character, Darcy Burdock, was that she has got her own imaginary world, she likes mermaids and really wants to be a writer when she grows up. Darcy turns eleven in the story but she seems too young for that age because she doesn’t understand some things and I thought she should have. Darcy’s best friend is a boy, but he is not a boyfriend, just a best friend. People used to tease her about it, but they stopped because Darcy could accidently-on-purpose spill PVA glue on their heads in art. I like Darcy, but I don’t think she would be my all time favourite character because I find her a little weird (like she doesn’t brush her hair and some other things).

I think the language is easy to understand for young readers (9+). It’s quite straightforward to read but ever so funny. I liked the way the book was written but it’s not really something I would buy compared to Dear God It’s Me Margaret by Judy Blume.
The author creates a joyful happy mood in the story but it can get sad. I think Darcy has a little bit of evil growing inside her but it dies down towards the end of the book.

I think it is a really good book for people who like Tracy Beaker by Jacqueline Wilson because I read some of her books when I was younger (but I’m not so keen on them now). So this isn’t one of my favourite books because it’s not really my cup of tea because it feels a bit young to me.
After I finished this book I didn’t have that feeling that I had lost something; Just, “oh I’ve finished it”. That’s just my opinion.   
 

Publication details:  Corgi Children’s, 28 February 2013, paperback
This copy: uncorrected proof received for review from the publisher


This book counts towards Little M's British Books Challenge 2013.

 

1 comment:

  1. I really like your review, and am very interested in what you thought of the book. I've read it too, and felt a bit confused about how old Darcy was. I've given the book to my niece, who is 11, to see what she makes of it.

    I did like Darcy, and I think the way the book is laid out is great.

    And thank you for reminding me about the Judy Blume book, I loved her writing when I was a teenager. I think Deenie was my favourite.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! We'd love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment. You need to fill out the word captcha too because of spam. Your comment will be visible after approval.